Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Eggs






This year for Easter I decided to try a new egg dying technique that was a bit more eco-friendly than buying the egg dye from the store. I saw a program on TV that said you could dye eggs using various colors of onion peels. So Jay and I yesterday morning, carefully wrapped several eggs with red and yellow onion skins. I kept them in separate pots, so the dyes wouldn't mix. And the results were... so-so. John (my husband) said I made white eggs into brown eggs.

Problem number one: The rubberbands I had used to hold the skis on the eggs broke in the hot water. So the cool designs that I was expecting didn't turn out because the skins came off. Plus the red onions only made slightly darker shades of brown.

But all in all it was a fun experiment and I have attached some pictures to show the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment