Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day

Happy Earth day to all of you out there. I wanted to take a moment to celebrate that today is a day devoted to our great planet. I will encourage you all to do something good for the environment today, whatever will work for you.

I am planning a second annual Ravine Clean-Up. Where I live is surrounded on three sides by ravines leading to Lake Michigan. The racoons (and students) tend to spread the trash from the dumpsters down into the wooded landscape, potentially harming the bio-diversity of the area. This year we will be picking up the trash that now lines the walls of the ravines. Then having a BBQ to celebrate. Last year at the event we pulled out couches, tables, and a toilet... It will be interesting to see what we find this year.

But your effort doesn't have to be so invovled. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Turn off all your electronics and lights tonight. Instead light a candle and read a book. Chicago is hosting an all city Earth Hour this week, and encourages all its residents to participate. The facts on last years Earth Hour are astonishing (I wish I had them in front of me but they are easily found on-line).
2. Ride your bike (or walk to work). If you can't do that, try riding your bike for a few errands instead.
3. Have any weddings coming up? Look at the registry, then find an eco friendly gift similar to what they have on their wish list.
4. Ask about improving your recycling program at work. I did this two years ago (because we didn't have one to speak of) and now we have recycling in every resident hall room!
5. Create a meal of fresh food tonight. It will cut down on the packaging waste from your foods.
6. Talk to the children or young adults in your life about the importance in preserving our great Earth!!!

I could go on for hours, but I have to go back to work. I just love that my work today is working on Earth Day Events!

In Community,
Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment