Thursday, April 30, 2009

SOAPBOX

Soapbox item for today: Ignorance in the grocery store

Last week I was in the store at the self-check out line. The woman in front of me had roughly 8-10 small items. She proceeded to put these items into two plastic sacks. Normally, this would irritate me since it was clear all the item would have fit into one bag, and on occasion I have forgotten to bring in my reusable bags, and opt for the plastic. But this woman (who in all honesty had probably arrived at the store in a huge 12 MPG SVU) then did something that any eco-fan would loath. SHE DOUBLE BAGGED her purchase. 8 items in four bags that will probably not even be recycled, so will end up filling landfill space long after her productive life is over.

I know there are bigger fish to fry and I should not have been judging so. But honestly 4 bags, when she only needed one. It is just wrong. People need to pay better attention to the small details in their lives. These are where some huge gains could be made. It was all I could do not to say something to the woman, or offer to buy her a reusable bag. But it would have done me no good, she is obviously in an ecofobe who cares more about herself than the world around her.

As a side note, I had also forgotten my reusable bag that day (in the trunk of the car) so decided that I didn't need a bag at all for the four items I purchased. They easily fit in the purse I was carrying. I had made this decision before I saw resource sow in front of me, so I don't think that my decision even came close to offsetting hers.

Please, and I beg you, readers NEVER DOUBLE BAG.

Ok soapbox is done. I will stop contemplating slashing her tires (jk) and move on with my regualar eco-friendly life.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to argue that it is, occasionally, okay to double-bag. As a carless commuter, I endeavor to pack a reusable bag in my everyday-bag. Sometimes, though, I don't have one with me for whatever reason and/or I have too many items to take home. The closest grocery store is 1/2 mile from home, and walking home with groceries isn't bad. I have big worries about heavy things, though, like a bag of canned goods, and I will double-bag is something is heavy enough that I think an extra bag will help. I will say, though, that no plastic bags in our house ever go from the store to the trash. They are perfect for when I scoop the catboxes. So, I imagine, as you have, that she was just being wasteful, which she probably was, but I will say that I think that it's occasionally okay to double-bag, especially if none of those bags are going to waste. (I don't know what else we'd do to get rid of the catpoop.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, ok, ok. But the people in this community (who shop at this Jewel) are not commuters. They go from their large vehicle to their large house in a few steps. And I can attest that her items were not heavy. Because once I saw her bag the first items, the next ones were chips, and granola bars and such.

    Plus you get extra points for walking to the store AND taking public transportation! Even I drove to the store (about a mile from my apartment) when I could have rode a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but judging from last year's bike experience you probably shouldn't ride it AND tote groceries ;)

    I really like that some European countries (Ireland might be one) and some US States (CT is considering it) are looking into implementing surcharges or taxes for plastic bags. 5 cents each!

    ReplyDelete